Tuesday 14 February 2012

Single Awareness Day

Alright, so I didn’t want to be the annoying girl raining on everyone’s parade on Valentine’s day, but you know me, I can’t keep my mouth shut, here I go.

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT YOUR BOYFRIEND GOT YOU FOR VALENTINES DAY.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOH, chocolate, flowers and a teddy. How original. He must really love you. Oh wait, he just wants to get laid tonight. He looked in the Valentine’s day handbook and followed the rules. He’s made you happy. Now it’s his turn. Girls, you’d better give him what he wants tonight because the poor guy is just doing the best he can on this poor excuse of a “special day”. I’m joking. Kind of.


Is Valentine’s day even a real holiday? No. Are we excused from school and from work? No. Valentine’s day is just a consumerist holiday designed TO MAKE MONEY!

WHAT IN THE GREAT ODEN’S RAVEN IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT THE “LOVE OF YOUR LIFE” BUYING YOU THE SAME THING AS EVERY OTHER NON-SINGLE GIRL IN THE WORLD?

I mean for God’s sake. I’m single and I’m happy being single. I’m not the bitter single girl.  Not saying I’m anti-relationship or anything! I would be equally happy in a relationship. But even if I WAS in a committed relationship, I would still hate Valentine’s day just as much. I’d like for my boyfriend and I to treat it just like any other day. Sure, we’ll go out on a date and have some fun. But he’d better not buy me flowers and chocolate and a teddy. I swear. Or I will actually hit someone. If he’s gonna buy me something, it had better be something thoughtful. Something sentimental that means something to me.

I always say I would rather have my boyfriend surprise me on a day that’s totally random. Have him spontaneously rock up at my house with pizza and my favourite ice cream and be like “Hey baby, I bought us tickets to see the Arctic Monkeys. Surprise! Let’s go.” That would make me so unbelievably happy because it’s THOUGHTFUL.

Also, Valentine’s day is one day out of an entire year. I wouldn’t want to have to remind my boyfriend to do something nice and special for me. Or expect it just one day. He shouldn’t need just one day (the same day as everyone else) to tell me and show me how much he loves me. That should be every day. Anniversaries are special. Those are the days where he can go all out. Because that’s between just me and him, not the entire world.

And one more note. Facebook. If I see one more girl posting a photo on Facebook of what her boyfriend got her today, and rubbing it in the faces of all the single girls who are posting pathetic statuses about it being “single awareness day” and wanting cuddles because they’re forever alone… I will go postal. Seriously I will rage. Girls writing statuses about this: you are single for a reason. STOP moping about not having a boyfriend! It is not the most important thing in the world! Yeah, relationships are great, but being single is great too! Have a little self respect and learn to love yourself, then maybe someone can learn to love you.

So I’m posting this before even reading it through and editing it. I’m sorry if it doesn’t make a lot of sense, I’ve just gotta get it off my chest before I go insane.

And to all the couples spending a nice night together that ARE NOT telling the entire world about it, that have given each other thoughtful gifts and are just perfectly content spending time with each other… I commend you. Thank you. And to all the single girls out there that really don’t care at all about Valentine’s day? I like you. Let’s be friends.

Good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment